Pages

1.07.2013

Homemade Almond Milk

'

I have been an almond milk aficionado for a few years now.  I have almost exclusively used almond milk instead of cow's milk for baking, drinking, cereal, oatmeal, hot chocolate, coffee creamer... you get the idea.  I love the clean slightly nutty taste, and find that I digest it much more easily than cow's milk. I have also noticed my skin has improved since making this switch! Bonus!

I finally made the leap and made my own almond milk over the weekend.  It turned out great, and was beyond simple.  Here's how...


Homemade Nut Milk 
Makes 4 cups

1. Cover 1 cup of almonds (or choose any other nut or seed you like!) with water, soak 8 hours.
2. Rinse soaked nuts/seeds thoroughly.
3. Combine soaked nuts/seeds with 4 cups water in a blender.  Blend approximately 3 minutes, or until the liquid is white and milky, and the nuts/seeds have been broken into very small pieces.
4. Strain using a nut milk bag, cheesecloth, pantyhose, anything with small pores! I used cheesecloth over a fine strainer, and it worked great.
5. Refrigerate and enjoy! 

(keeps 3-4 days)



I love how this recipe can be adapted to any nut or seed.  It is also easily adapted for quantity.  If you know you won't go through 4 cups of milk, decrease the quantity! Just keep the ratio of nuts/seeds to milk 1:4.  I plan to make 2 cups of milk every few days, using 1/2 cup soaked nuts and 2 cups water.

More fun ideas using homemade almond (or nut/seed of your choice!) milk to come.  

Have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment